Monday, January 9, 2012

A little bump in the Road

What do you do when you have a bump in the road? How do you handle it?  Is there a time that you have to just let go and let God do the work for you?  So many times we often seek counsel from men instead of going to the great physician, going to his word, getting on our knees and saying Lord, I need you.  Four words....Lord I need you.  Sometimes they are so hard to say. When times get tough they are words we don't want to say because it means admitting we need someone other than ourselves to handle the problem.  I recently found myself admitting I had a problem.  I chose to avoid the situation instead of facing it.  I hid it and then to find out, I had a bump in my road.  Then Psalm 37 came to mind.  I often think of just what I would do, or what my plans are.  What my steps would be.  I like the road I choose.  The poem written by Robert Frost that says the "road less traveled by....." well as Christians, do you take the road less traveled by and just trust God with your road, your life, your plans for your life?  Not just way in the future but even in the small details of life that you may think are not worth his time he wants to know about.  He wants to know your heart.  Your desires. Even the little ones.

My road is not always easy.  I am so stubborn.  Strong willed.  Independent.  Impatient.  There is a pattern there.  The pattern is I am not relying on Christ each day if I allow those traits to be what guide my road.  I must daily ask Christ to guide me, lead me and protect me.  See some of those traits like independent, and strong willed can be great if I yield them to Christ.  But if I am using them in my own strength than all is lost and my path often falters.  What we cannot see as God can is the path ahead.  Last week, I found out to top off all else that was going on I had a broken bone in my left foot.  So, that makes things even more fun.  I knew better than to ignore the fall I took but I chose not to say anything and now, I have compounded my road.  A bump.  But that is my reminder that I should have kept my focus, and I should have said something and I also should have been obedient to what I am capable of doing on my own.  God has a plan for everything in life.  A plan for my physical abilities, a plan for my future, a plan for how I parent my children.  But when I take things from his hands, that is when bumps occur.  But I also know how loving God is.  See the day I fell I knew I should not have been climbing up to reach something so when I twisted in kitchen I fell.  I was disobedient.  I should have asked for help.  I also know that not saying anything for days did not help, despite my blinding pain. 

The lesson, do we have to get to blinding pain to always realize God's plan in our lives or can we accept it and face it sooner?  One major thing it says in Psalm 37 is to commit our ways to him, then later in the Psalm it says the steps of the man are established by the Lord, and it also says he has never left us hungry, or begging for bread. That means not just for food but for wisdom.  As we get older we realize that God is always there even at times when it is darkest and we think that he has somehow forgotten us and pain is so deep and blinding and it seems that the bump in the road is so hard.  But God is our deliver and he will never forsake us.  That is when we have to put the our seat belt on, hold onto the wheel and let God steer.  The bumps will always come and go, but God is always there.

1 comment:

  1. Great message, very honest. I suspect that most of us, to varying degrees, battle with many similar issues; I know that I certainly battle with my own ways, as opposed to always yielding my own ways to God.

    Yet God has been amazingly patient and always faithful. He has brought about many wonderful changes in my attitude. I still have to battle with it every day, but at least I know that my Savior is always there to lead me - if I remember to seek Him first before going forward.

    God is good!

    ReplyDelete